Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Guest Post - Meredith Allard - Her Dear & Loving Husband


Hello everyone. Thank you to Donna for allowing me to be here today. For my guest post I interviewed Geoffrey, a vampire, and, in his words, an integral part of the story Her Dear & Loving Husband.

Meredith: How would you describe your role in Her Dear & Loving Husband?

Geoffrey: I believe I’m the emotional center of the story, if you will. After all, James Wentworth is my vampling. If I hadn’t turned him then he wouldn’t have met Sarah Alexander, and if they hadn’t met, well…you get the picture. Without me, there would be no James and Sarah. So I am important indeed.

In fact, I believe my life is fascinating enough to warrant an entire book of its own. Here, I am merely a supporting character. I am still still expecting to be the star of the prequel to the Loving Husband Trilogy, which should be eloquently entitled Geoffrey. If there is any weakness to Her Dear & Loving Husband it’s that there’s not enough of me.

Meredith: How do you make a vampire?

Geoffrey: That is an excellent question, and one I’m asked surprisingly rarely. Truth be told, it’s a rather simple task. One need first to find a victim, pardon, I mean convert, and bite him.

Meredith: Where do you bite the person?

Geoffrey: That is up to the turner’s discretion, I believe. Call me traditional, but I still prefer the neck. After all, it’s the easiest way to get the venom flowing through the veins, and we want this done as quickly and cleanly as possible. No muss. No fuss. One new vampling coming up.

Meredith: How does the venom act in the person’s system as it turns them into a vampire?

Geoffrey: I hardly know myself how the venom works within the human body’s system. At the end of approximately four days (two for some weaker humans, five or six for the strong-willed) the convert wakes up from the bite-induced coma a fully formed vampire. Miraculous.

Meredith: What do you say to your critics who condemn your habit of turning unsuspecting victims and abandoning them?

Geoffrey: All the whinging I’ve had to listen to for hundreds of years, you left me, I was all alone, I didn’t know what to do. Boo hoo. It’s quite tiresome, I assure you. But there is a method behind my madness. The way mother birds push their young from the nest to prompt their first flight, so I push my vamplings out into the world to prompt their survival. We don’t need long life lessons. We need to find our way in a world that does not want to know we exist. So as cold as it might seem to walk away, after I’m gone I keep tabs on my vamplings, even if they don’t know it at the time.

Meredith: Some vampires are what we would call traditional in the sense that they’re violent in they way they go about feeding. Others struggle to overcome their basic instincts and try to live as humanly as they can. Where do you stand on this issue?

Geoffrey: Vampires struggle with the same cravings as any other living creature. Quite simply, they like to eat, or drink as the case may be. It’s a matter of decision that each vampire must make for him or herself. If one chooses to attack unsuspecting victims then that is what will happen. If one chooses to do be more humane, then that will happen. It’s not so very difficult to understand.

Meredith: Which kind of vampire are you?

Geoffrey: One with rugged good looks and charming wit. Don’t you find I have rugged good looks and charming wit?

Meredith: Indeed. What do you think of the current craze for e-books?

Geoffrey: You must understand that I came of age in the days when bookbinding was an art. I am appalled at the state of what you call “literature.” In my time we didn’t have electronic doodahs like iPigs or Bumbleberries or whatever gadgets you humans insist on fiddling with. I prefer hardcovers that weigh five pounds and hurt your back when you carry them. That is a book. Though I suppose reading Her Dear & Loving Husband on a Snook is better than not reading it at all.

Meredith: On a Nook, Geoffrey.

Geoffrey: Whatever. It’s all nonsense.

I am certain you have been quite entertained by my responses. You’re welcome. 

Her Dear and Loving Husband
By Meredith Allard
Published by Copperfield Press
Release Date: April 11, 2011
Genre: Vampire Romance

Book Description: 

How long would you wait for the one you loved?

James Wentworth has a secret. He lives quietly in Salem, Massachusetts, making few ties anywhere. One night his private world is turned upside down when he meets Sarah Alexander, a dead ringer for his wife Elizabeth. Though it has been years since Elizabeth's death, James cannot move on.

Sarah also has a secret. She is haunted by nightmares about the Salem Witch Trials, and every night she is awakened by visions of hangings, being arrested, and dying in jail. Despite the obstacles of their secrets, James and Sarah fall in love. As James comes to terms with his feelings for Sarah, he must dodge accusations from a reporter desperate to prove that James is not who, or what, he seems to be. Soon James and Sarah piece their stories together and discover a mystery that may bind them in ways they never imagined. Will James make the ultimate sacrifice to protect Sarah and prevent a new hunt from bringing hysteria to Salem again?

Her Dear & Loving Husband is part historical fiction, part romance, and part paranormal fantasy. With elements of Twilight and The Crucible, Her Dear & Loving Husband is a story for anyone who believes that true love never dies. 

Buy Links:




Author Bio:

Meredith Allard is the author of Her Dear & Loving Husband and the executive editor of The Copperfield Review, a journal for readers and writers of historical fiction. Her short fiction and articles have appeared in journals such as The Paumanok Review, Muse Apprentice Guild, Wild Mind, Moondance, and Writer's Weekly. She has taught writing to students aged 10 to 60, and she has taught creative writing and writing historical fiction at Learning Tree University and UNLV. She lives in Las Vegas, Nevada.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Donna! Thank you so much for posting my interview with Geoffrey. I really appreciate it!

    Meredith Allard

    ReplyDelete