Monday, July 30, 2012

Exerpt - A Wolf's Song


Short Excerpt A Wolf’s Song:

The wolf shimmered and distorted obscenely as bright sparks flickered around him. She closed her eyes to clear them, and opened them again just as the wolf vanished to leave a man in his place. A very, very handsome bear of a man, at that. She blinked and stared.

He was very tall, well over six feet, probably close to six and a half feet. His broad, powerful body was corded with muscle definition, his belly not flat so much as ridged with blatant muscle definition. His hair was the color of wheat, ripe for harvest in the Autumn sunshine. His eyes were golden in his slightly rugged, slightly surfer-boy face, matching the pale hair. More blond hair tracked down that powerful stomach to where... To where she really wasn't going to look, no matter how much she might want to.

“Death is a werewolf?” she asked, realizing belatedly how nonsensical she sounded.

“Desiree!” he said, his voice familiar and rich, harmony flowing through it like an old fashioned acapella group. Then he chuckled. “I'm not death. I think he has a scythe and a robe or something. And I'm naked.”

Death apparently had a sense of humor, as well.

“Yes,” she said. “I noticed.” She reached for his mind to see what was so funny, but found only quiet. “So are you going to get it over with?”

“Get what over with?”

“You killed them. So kill me, too.”

His eyebrows nearly crawled up onto his scalp. “They were monsters. Why would I kill you? Are you a monster, too?”

“No,” she said. Then quietly, “I just want to die.”

He chuckled again.

“Are you laughing at me?” She crossed her arms over her chest. This was serious business and she didn't appreciate his attitude. It wasn't bad enough that he was a werewolf—which should be myth just like vampires... and he was here to kill her. She didn't need for him to be a smart-ass about it.

He made an obvious attempt to rein in his mirth. “No, ma'am. I'm standing on your stairs butt-ass naked. I hardly think I'm in the position to laugh at you, now am I?” His lip quirked again in contrast with his words.


No comments:

Post a Comment