Monday, January 24, 2011

Review - Immortalis Hunters and Prey



From GoodReads:

Becoming a vampire saved Alyssa from death, but the price was high: the loss of everything and everyone attached to her mortal life. She’s still learning to cope when a surprise confrontation with Santino Vitale, the Acta Sanctorum’s most fearsome hunter, sends her fleeing back to the world she once knew, and Fallon, the friend she’s missed more than anything.

Alyssa breaks vampire law by revealing her new, true self to her old friend, a fact which causes strong division in the group that should support her most: her clan.

Worse yet, her revelation entangles Fallon in the struggle between vampires and hunters and the Acta Sanctorum is ready to attack again, with a new army of hybrid creations: the Frenzy Soldiers.

If Alyssa hopes to survive and keep her mortal friend safe, she’ll have to be willing to make a deal with the enemy, and regain her clan’s support. It will take everyone working together in a precarious truce to fight against the Acta Sanctorum’s new threat.

--------------------

My review:

I really enjoyed the first in this series. See review here. And I was looking forward to reading this second novel in the series as soon as I finished the first. And I am really glad to say I was not disappointed.

The series is well written and has a great cast of characters. I admit I love the vampire mythology and all the ways that it can be altered to create different worlds. I really think Katie has a great start to a new world for us all to enjoy and I am looking forward to more.

We get to watch Alyssa and Lysander's relationship grow a bit more in this one and see how she really has developed as a vampire from the first novel. We see how she is influencing him and almost bringing him back to some sense of mortality. It seems like he was at the point of barely existing anymore before she came along. We also get to learn more about her best friend from when she was mortal and I'm glad to see she will be sticking around awhile as well.

One of the bad characters from the first book makes a reappearance as well - Santino. I don't want to spoil the story and say what happens to him. But I think he is a pretty interesting and complex character as well. Hopefully in the future we get to find out more about his backstory.

As its only the second book, there is still quite a bit we don't know about the world they are living in. But I am anxiously awaiting the third novel to continue along with these characters. Too bad its not out until 2012. But don't worry there are no cliffhangers to worry about waiting for the conclusion too.

1 comment:

  1. Nice Review. Thanks for hosting Katie during her book tour.

    ReplyDelete